When you first pair your AirPods, it automatically picks up the nickname of the iOS device that it is connected to and labels itself “[Your Name] ‘s AirPods.”
It’s even less creative when connected to an Android device, with just “AirPods” as its name.
You can imagine how difficult it would be to identify which AirPod you are currently connected to if you have previously paired different AirPods on the device.
Fortunately, you can make your AirPods unique by changing their name.
This article will explain in detail how to change the AirPods default name on your smart devices. Let’s dive in.
Do This Before renaming your AirPods
Before changing your AirPods name, ensure that the following are in place.
- Your AirPods are working and not faulty.
- Your iPhone, iPad, or Mac Bluetooth connection is working.
- Your AirPods is fully charged.
Now that your device and AirPods are ready, let’s change the AirPod’s name.
Method 1: How to Change AirPods Name on iPhone/iPad
Renaming AirPods is easier and more accessible on an iPhone/iPad.
How to do it:
- Open the Settings interface on your Apple device and select Bluetooth.
- After the device recognizes your AirPods, tap on the “i” icon next to your AirPods.
- Tap on “Name” to open the editing option.
- Next, type in the new name you want to give your AirPods.
- Once done, tap the back arrow to go back to Settings and save the name.
Method 2: How to rename AirPods on Mac
Another way to rename your AirPods is by using your MacBook.
Here is the guide on how to run the process:
- Choose the Apple menu, and then select System Preferences.
- Click on the Bluetooth option.
- Next, control-click your AirPods and then choose Rename.
- Type a new name, and then tap Rename to confirm.
Method 3: How to Rename AirPods with Android
This is an unusual combination, considering that the Apple and Android environments are two different ecosystems. However, your AirPods work just as well on Androids as with any Apple device.
Here’s how to change the name of your AirPods with an Android device:
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to the Connections or Bluetooth option.
- Tap on the settings cog next to the AirPods.
- Tap Rename and write the new name of the AirPods.
- When done, tap Rename to save the settings.
Method 4: How to rename your AirPods on Windows
To rename AirPods on Windows 10/Windows 11 PC, do the following:
- Press Windows + S and search Control Panel.
- Click on Hardware and Sound.
- Select Device and Printers.
- Right-click on the AirPods and select Properties.
- Click on the Bluetooth tab and rename the AirPods.
Why can’t I rename my AirPods?
If after using the above methods, you are still unable to change your AirPod’s name, try the following fixes;
Fix 1: Reset the AirPods
To do this;
- Insert the AirPods in the charging case and keep the cover open.
- Next, press and hold the setup button on the charging case for about 3 seconds until the status light starts flashing amber, then white.
- Then, connect the headphones to your iPhone and try renaming it again.
Fix 2: Forget AirPods on your iOS device or Mac
You can also forget the AirPods and re-pair them to your device. Hopefully, the problem will be gone.
How to forget AirPods on your iOS device
- First, connect your AirPods to the device.
- Head to Settings on your Apple device → Bluetooth → Under My Device, tap the “i” button next to the current AirPods Name.
- Tap on Forget this device and confirm.
- Now, re-pair the earphones with your Apple device and try renaming the AirPods again.
How to Forget AirPods on your MacBook
- Go to System Preferences → Bluetooth
- Right-click on AirPods and then click Remove
- Click Forget Device.
- Next, pair the AirPods with your Mac again.
- Then, retry the renaming process.
Fix #3: Reboot your iPhone
If the above solutions did not resolve the issue, try resetting your iPhone. (This will reset your device to factory settings but will not delete any media or data.)
To reboot your iPhone, head to Settings → General → Reset → Reset all settings and confirm.
Fix #4: Update your iPhone
If you still can’t rename your AirPods, try updating your iPhone to the latest software. This might help you fix the problem.
To update your iPhone, open Settings → General → Software update.
Fix #5 – Update the firmware version on your AirPods
If your AirPods firmware isn’t functioning on the latest version, it may cause some malfunction.
To check your AirPods firmware version, do the following:
- Connect your AirPods to your iPhone.
- Head to Settings on the iPhone and select Bluetooth.
- Next, tap the “i” icon next to your AirPods.
- Scroll to the About section and open Version. Here, you will see what version of AirPods firmware you’re currently using.
If you need to update the version, do the following:
- Insert the AirPods in their case.
- Connect the AirPods charging case to a power source.
- Next, move the paired iPhone or iPad that the AirPods close to the charging case and enable the internet connection on your iOS device.
- After a while, any available software update will be automatically downloaded and installed on your AirPods.
- Then, try the renaming process again.
Renaming your AirPods can go a long way to having a quick and easy connection with your iOS or Mac device. More so, the process is not cumbersome.
Follow all the procedures in this article to change your AirPod’s name. Remember to try the fixes above if you encounter difficulties renaming your earbuds.
Stay glued to this blog for more earbud hacks and solutions.